Thursday, January 11, 2007

Posts, Points, and Borders

I'm finally back to something that feels like home should. I've spent the past 2 days rebuilding the barbed-wire fence that is the northernmost border of what remains of my grandfather's farm. I may be lacking in any number of skills and talents, but by gosh I can build a fence.

I've no idea whether it excites any of y'all or not, but I had to tear down and salvage as much of the old fence as possible, and in doing so doubled my at-hand amount of t-posts (the sort of post you build a barbed-wire fence with), and coiled up nearly a mile of wire suitable for reuse into what looked like galvanised Christmas wreaths for some sort of sadistic Yuletide dinner. Then I hand-drove about 50 of the aformentioned posts into the ground over a stretch of about 200 yards/metres, give or take, and stretched 5 new strands of wire along them. The first 3 wires were from the existing, painfully coiled wreaths, and as such, were unrolled and spliced in one at a time, with mimimal effort. The last 2 had to be unrolled from a new, multi-mile coil of wire on the back of the tractor, near the far post. This was done by wrapping my elkhide gloves in a coil or two of the new wire, and walking away from the tractor at about a 45 degree angle to the earth's crust. It was something like playing tug of war with an octopus, yet winning (by degrees). My entire body is wracked and sore.

On the other hand, my entire body is wracked and sore. I like knowing that I've worked. That I've earned my daily allotment of sleep and oxygen. And the pork chops in homemade gravy with brown-beans-and-ham and homemade cornbread, followed by a yellow cake with a caramel and coffee icing that my grandmother made to sustain me thru the lunchtime hours.

Yes, it's been a grand week. I'll sleep sooooooo well tonite.

2 comments:

Allen said...

It's good to work like that sometimes. When your body feels like that no one can tell you you didn't work very hard because you body is screaming that you did.

Lori said...

While I don't miss DOING that kind of work (on my grandpa's farm when I was allowed to go out and work with the boys instead of stay in and help my grandma clean), I miss the IDEA of that kind of work. Or maybe just watching people do that kind of work. Or something. Good for you.