Thursday, January 18, 2007

I Gave A Pig A Pancake...

The other day, because I have a conscience that won't let me do otherwise, I stopped to help someone with automobile troubles. I didn't want to. Honestly. Quite often, I don't want to, but I almost always stop to help folks whom I think I could. Call it paying it forward, or preventative karma- beating fate at its own game. I do, truly, like helping folks when I can, but it's so often an inconvenience. I have 'more important things' to consider.

But how important would I think someone else's priorities really were if I were the one carrying the tell-tale red 1-gallon gas can down the side of the road when the temperature's below freezing with the wind whipping through my threads? But I was busy. But you've been stranded before. But I'm late for work. Since when did you want to be there that badly?

This whole debate took about 4 and a half seconds before I turned around to give Daniel and Kara, as their names turned out to be, a lift to the gas station and back. I felt good about the decision the whole time, until we got back and the car had been run so dry that it wouldn't start. This was a relatively new car, with fuel injection, so there was no hope of simply dousing the carburetor with fuel until the engine fired. Either it would start, or it wouldn't.

It was at this point that I remembered the children's book entitled "If You Give a Pig a Pancake," which is the latest in a series begun with "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie." The tales are lively and funny, and run through the potential predicament you could land yourself in by sugaring up lesserly evolved mammals who cannot do their own supermarket shopping. If you give a pancake, he'll want syrup, and eventually will end up in your pajamas, in your bed, while you get up early to cook more pancakes. Not the exact plotline, but you get the idea. Nothing is so simple as its appearance.

Daniel's car wouldn't start, and this meant that either I could wish them luck and wave goodbye (as other folks might have done once retrieving them to the car-- once I was this involved, I felt compelled to see them on their way), and be a jerk, or I could offer them yet another ride...somewhere. As it turned out, the car did finally start, but not before I knew fully the threat of filling vermin with chocolate chips.

Applying the book, then, to real life, just makes me more leary-- I like to be helpful, but apparently my generosity has its stretches. This is harsh and selfish, even for me. Six weeks ago I was staying in the house of someone who met me on a bus and thought I looked like I could use a warm bed and a homecooked meal. How quickly we forget...

Loving, in any capacity, is rarely convenient. We are, by nature, self-serving and self-preserving, and putting the needs and concerns of anyone else ahead of ourselves, so far as I've seen, isn't always the easiest, nor most pleasant task. But someone took a risk on me, and I like to think I left them feeling justified and fulfilled by the occasion.

Strangely enough, Jesus advises us: "Don't give your pearls to pigs, and don't give dogs what is sacred, lest they turn upon you and turn you to pieces." (CAUTION: that's the JBLTV- Jeffro Brown loosely translated version- I'll try and get an exact quote when I get home, unless Lori or Tim can beat me to it...) Love then, but evaluate your recipient, I suppose. Of course, then, there's that new Sean Been movie, where he poses as a hitchhiker caught in a rainstorm and then proceeds to destroy the existence of the generous folks who have pity on him.

Blast, but it's a hanged confusing planet we inhabit. I've gone and confused myself from my original point, which, stated simply, was:

Give a Pig a Pancake.

1 comment:

Tim said...

I love chocolate chip pancakes and Pecan wafles.

Sometimes it is an inconvence to help people, but it can also be very rewarding.

I can not remember a time that I ever stoped to help somebody and I wasn't able to offer assistance. maybe it was just a phone for someone to call a friend because I could not comunicate with them due to language barriers.

One time I even stoped to help this lady who's car was on fire, turns out she was transporting fire exstingushers and some of them went off.

Another time I helped a frantic lady who was running around her car like a crazy person on the side of the highway, to find out a cricket flew in her window.

I say don't watch that movie and keep helping people.

T