Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Expensive Dang Dessert...




My FAVOURITE book as a child was entitled "The Blueberry Pie Elf." It was written in the mid 1950s by Jane Thayer, illustrated by a gentleman who used only blue ink (in true, mid-century children's book monochromatic fashion), about an elf who simply cannot get enough blueberry pie to satiate himself, and begins leaving subtle hints to the family whose house he secretly cohabits that they might consider baking that particular delight a bit more often.

Strangest thing was, I didn't even like blueberries. Even now, I only eat them in muffins, or in conjunction with red berries. But the book now, the book...

My mom and I wore the only local copy out. I bet she checked it out of the Springdale Public Library every other week. I honestly don't think anyone else ever had a chance. I also suppose it must've been my fault, therefore, that the book got to such a state that the library either threw it away or sold it on. In either case, the book disappeared from my fragile life at a young age, and I've dreamt for years untold about holding it again.

There's not a used book store I've ever passed that I haven't inquired within as to their having the book for sale. Never have I met success. So, today, in desperation, and boredom at work, I consulted google. I found a reproduction recently released and for sale via amazon, but it's got full colour pictures, and is paperback. I prefer the red hardback with blue ink.

There is ONE for sale on ebay. It's the red hardback, with blue ink, and it even still has the tell-tale Dewey Decimal sticker on the spine indicating that it shared the same early fate as what was nearly my personal copy. The auction ends in 8 hours, there are no bids, and the cost is ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS. For a book that sold for all of 85 cents new. I love the book, and would deeply enjoy having it again, but egad man. That's a hella price to put on regaining childhood bliss...

I've found the keys to paradise, but they're in a glass-fronted soda pop machine and I'm out of change...

No comments: