Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A light Peppering of Pictures...

Well, I got up this morning to discover that I cannot put off that haircut any longer...



But then again, at least I don't look like these ridiculous Italian dudes who are apparently very in fashion... Note the mullets, the bad glasses, and the MATCHING trousers and nearly identical shoes... Ye gods...



I saw those Italian teenagers while hanging out with my friend Charlie in Reggio Ermelia, Italia, near to Parma. Her flat overlooked the city park, in the centre of which was one of the most amazing trees I've ever seen. It's the one that claimed the life of my British mobile phone...



When I was in Yorkshire 3 weeks ago, I did manage to talk a local farmer into letting me check out the antique tractors in his barn. This is probably my favourite picture, though not my favourite of his particular examples of aging British iron. He had a Fordson Major, which weren't sold in America, that I loved. This is a 1968 Massey-Ferguson 135. Or, the nose of one.



While in France with Celine over the last 2 weeks, we did some hiking through the southernmost stretches of the Alps, and we dropped off of one peak into the valley containing Le Sac du St. Croix- the Lake of the Holy Cross. I think they call it that to make themselves feel better for having buried the original village church beneath 600 metres of water when they dammed and flooded the valley 35 years ago, but that's just my opinion... In either case, the valley and lake were beautiful. There was a massive float plane that kept circling round and loading water into itself- it seems there was a fire a few ridges away- so we sat down on the water's edge to watch the process of the plane filling its belly, and presently this catamaran came skirting across the surface, and I went all but blind trying to get this shot. He was etching his way back and forth across my line of vision making for the far end of the lake, so I took 5 or 6 pictures like the one following. This seems to be the best.



At any rate, I'm back in Nottingham, and glad of it. I tore my backpack strap yesterday, so I'm going to hike down the road to Beeston City Centre where there's a shoe repair place right next to a barber's on the high street, go have a coffee at Cafe Nero, where my friend Giuliana (Juan's wife) works, and then there's both frisbee practice and a social later in the day.

Hope y'all have a wonderful day yourselves...
cheers for now,
jeffro

1 comment:

Allen said...

I'm glad your putting up pictures now.