Sunday, March 18, 2007

Biggest Dang Leprechaun This Side of Kilkenny...


When I brush my teeth in the mirror, I look at myself and think 'Ahh, the beard still looks allright...' Then I see pictures of myself and debate my judgment. The hat was earned, for what it's worth, during the local St. Patrick's Day celebrations here in Nottingham. Our celebrating began at noon, when we hit our first pub. After the purchase (and theoretic imbibement) of 4 pints of Guinness, patrons were presented with the hat and the pin on my T'shirt reading 'Ask for me at the bar...' Alex's read 'Tall, Dark and Handsome'. Thus our early start...


This is the greater portion of the 'we' I've been referring to. Left to right are Carlos, Samuel, Ulysses, myself, Alex, Griselda, and Alexis. By this time (9 pm), Juan, Marcos, Melissa, Ana y Pete had all gone home. We left the festivities in the city centre, where the Market Square was specially reopened for the first time since reparations started 18 months ago (though, for all that, the fountain leaks like a sieve...), at about 6, and went to Alexis' (my old house at number 49) and played Uno until we were all too tired to stay awake any longer. Roughly 9 pm, that is...


I was so dogged at this point because I was up at dawn to head down to Beeston to see my friend James off on the early train, then I walked back along the canal to the house, and left for Beeston again 20 minutes later with Juan, Alex, Griselda, and Tung, my Malaysian friend who moved into my old room at number 49, to have breakfast at the Boathouse Cafe at Beeston Marina. We each had a full English breakfast for 4 pounds, and liked it so much, that we (minus Juan) went back again this morning... well... lunch. Any one in or around Nottingham, I'd advise a similar dining experience. Just catch the number 18 bus, or number 20 on Sundays, to the Jolly Anglers pub, then walk south to where Appleton Road takes off to the right, and follow that street to its end at the canal, turn right, and follow the canal past the locks to the marina. Tony, a full-time fitness trainer, runs the place, and is certain to give you a warm welcome.

Any rate... Nottingham today has been a blend of sun, snow, wind, rain, shine, and clouds. I was watching M*A*S*H this morning (Marathon of season 3 on BBC-umpteen), and as the commercials broke, I looked outside to see that the sky was blackened by the clouds carried in on the coming gale, and snow and ice were attacking the house like there was no tomorrow. I checked outside again as the show recommenced, not 6 minutes later, the sky was entirely cloudless. Funny place, this.

It's Mother's Day here in England today, so here's to me mum... Love you, see you in a few weeks...

1 comment:

OfficerObie said...

Hey Jeffro, I just finised me a half gallon of Guiness. Bring me back one of them leprechaun hats. I think me, Willy Wills, Big Dan and your pa would look good in those hats. Actually, with the ears your pappy has, he could pass as a leprechaun.