Wednesday, October 18, 2006

This Ever-Shrinking Terrasphere

I returned to Yeny's house in East Dulwich, South London, this evening, and heard an American voice upstairs. When I finally managed to get up to the living room to see who all was in residence, I encountered a girl in a University of Virginia hoodie, who introduced herself as Jodi. We exchanged pleasantries for awhile, and she eventually asked where I was from. I started with the usual thread I save for Americans: "Near Fayetteville, where the University is... Spingdale is actually my hometown, between Fayetteville and Bentonville, where Wal-mart's headquartered." But she stopped me: "I've heard of Springdale...we have relatives there... Yes that's right, I've seen it on our Christmas Cards. My cousins are the Bogers." Kelly and Cody. For those of you in NWA, the Bogers are the family on the corner of Cowface Road, on the way to Hickory Creek Marina on Beaver Lake, with a pasture full of buffalo. I actually talked to Kelly over the phone a week or two before leaving the US, trying to line him up to haul some dirt.

We had a good laugh over the coincidence, if you could call it that. I don't particularly believe in coincidences...

2 comments:

Tara said...

It is quite the small world after all.

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.