Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Buon giorno da Italia!

Greetings all from Verona, Italy. Local time here (GMT + 1) is 10.45 am, Tuesday, October 9. That's 9.45 am in London, 3.45 am in NWA, and something like 4.45 pm in Western Australia.

I left Navis. Not because I wanted to, but because I'd been there 4 nights, and my standard limit is 3. So, I checked out of what Rob, Nick and I affectionately, and deservingly, titled the Ritz Navis' Rose Room, hopped a bus (a school bus at that... the passengers were myself and 30 6-10 year old Austrian kids... whose only English was "HI!!" and "Head and shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes, knees and toes...," followed the bus with a train from Matrei, Austria to Brenero, Italy, and a train from there to Verona, where I checked into the equivalent of a YMCA. Missing Austria alllllllready... but Verona does look promising.

I'm in an internet shop at the moment trying to plan my next stage... but I've no idea where it will lead. I'd like to bump into someone with an actual idea about things, and follow them again, but I've noticed that when you amble along with no sort of direction or ambitions, people in similar state are hard to find. Most other folks have very determined agendas, and I don't tend to fit the contexts... Any rate, not so much to report at this point. I'm going to see some Roman ruins and an archaeological museum, and apparently Bruce Springsteen is in concert here Thursday in the old Roman arena, third oldest in the world, at nearly 2000 years.

Hope life is stably, dependably satisfying to you. Living in hopes and hopping trains can be quite psychologically challenging.

Listen to some CCR.
jeffro

1 comment:

Tim said...

I have taken isperation form you. Today I go to Atlanta, with no plans. except for a conference on thursday and friday. and a had full of google maps to mellow mushroom pizza, chipotle (my traveling companions favorite eating place), and coca cola world.

I guess it may be a little more structured than your trips but I am liberated, and I will try and find out what kind of coke they drink in italy and dring one back for you.

Shine on,
Tim